I'm on Twitter

Tuesday 10 January 2012

If I were in charge of Ed's brand (God forbid...)

I feel fiercely protective of Ed Miliband - and feel empowered with motivation in the face of a perceived lack of new ideas.  After all, he was my first choice in the Leadership contest.

It is important for senior Labour Party members to remember to step out of an increasingly confining cardboard box and explore (no, hunt out and corner like a wild animal) the wealth of fresh perspectives among its members.

Personally, I would give our Ed a makeover and then deliberately make no reference to it.

That means getting a top barber to take a shaver to Ed's 'politician-esque' long hair and a good image consultant to dress him and remake the brand of the 'young - younger than Cameron, anyway, not-bad-looking' politician (I'm thinking Burberry male model).  Nearly all of my male cousins and uncles who are Ed's and Cameron's age are still really good-looking.

I would get rid of photos showing him in a suit and tie outside of the chamber/important speeches - more cashmere and wool jumpers, open buttoned shirts, etc.  And  I would advise him to advocate a bold, fearless approach by really shaking things up with exciting new *not New* Labour policy.  Policy that doesn't just mitigate the status quo, but changes it; policy that shakes austerity by the collar and throws it to one side.

Does he play football?  Or Rugby?  Fence? Mathletes?

Brains, brawn and good looks.  Red is the new black (geddit? Britain being in the black, rather than the red...? Never mind.), etc.  Off the cuff pictures of Ed chewing a pen, looking at documents wearing his reading glasses (even I put my contact lenses to one side, now and again).  Once he looks handsome and hard-working, then throw the wife and family in for a pose.  Women love a good man.  So do some men.  Especially if he is already taken.

Because if I am honest, which I always am - sometimes to my detriment - I fancied the socks off David Miliband.  He wore his hair low and there was a physical appeal about him.  As there was about Blair, and as there unfortunately is about Cameron.  A little bit.

After spending the last two years straddling on the edges of all three parties, I have come home to the party of my parents. And I believe that Labour CAN win the 2015 election if it addresses the superficial as well as the substance (ahem).

No comments:

Post a Comment